Success in any learning situation is dependent on getting excellent support from school administrators, academic advisors, instructors, technical personnel and other students. Several support mechanisms are in place that provide students with a direct link to these support groups, and that provide students with the opportunity to network regularly with instructors and other students.
Academic Advising and Tracking
The student and an academic advisor from Thompson Career College establish and sign a schedule for the student. The academic advisor then regularly monitors student progress through the online grade book, and formally reviews student progress once per month. If there are any progress issues, the student and advisor meet to discuss and resolve any problems. The student may also phone (toll free number) or meet in person with an academic advisor at Thompson Career College at any time. Academic advisors are available in person or via a toll-free telephone line from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm Pacific Time, Monday to Friday, and can also be reached via email.
Curriculum / Instruction Support
Student counselors / instructors are available via phone (toll free number), email or online chat. Counselors / instructors are on call from 7 am to 4 pm Pacific Time, Monday to Friday. There are also online chat rooms open 24 hours per day for each of the different study areas in the Medical Transcriptionist program. These chat rooms are open to current and past students, and are an excellent way for students to ask each other about issues they are having with the course material, and to get advice and support from students who are studying the same material.
Scheduled online meetings / chats are held regularly where students working in the same module meet with an instructor / student counselor to discuss issues with the module.
Technical support is available via email, chat or a toll-free number on Monday thru Friday from 6:30 am to 7 pm Pacific time, and on Saturdays from 9 am to 5 pm Pacific Time. Technical support deals with problems accessing the site, running the content, logging in, and working with your computer's operating system. The online course curriculum is available
24 hours a day,
7 days a week. There are redundant servers and full backup and recovery for the environment.
Automated Progress Tracking
Eadh student has a personalized account that tracks your progress through the curriculum modules, and records the results from all tests / assessments taken. This allows you and your academic advisor to quickly see where you are in the program at any time.
Thompson Career College Learning Lab
Students who enroll in the on-site learning option will have scheduled access to the Thompson Career College Learning Lab in Kamloops. There are two 4 hour learning periods are available during lab hours of 8:30 to 4:30.
Foot Pedal Software Installation Instructions
For students already in the program, Express Scribe software allows you to play digital files and to control the dictation utilizing function keys on your keyboard along with a foot pedal. To download and install this software, follow these instructions:
- Make sure your speakers or headphones are turned on, there are verbal instructions as part of this installation process.
- Go to the NCH site and Click on Download Express Scribe for Windows. If you have a Mac, there is a link on this page for Mac OS as well.
- Click on "Run" to run essetup.exe
- Windows will ask you again if you want to run this software, click on "Run"
- Read the License Agreement.
- To install, click on "I agree with these items" and click "Next"
- Select "Express Dictate" and click "Next"
- The Express Scribe window should open and you should hear audio instructions.
- Connect your foot pedal
- Click on "Settings", "Settings" and then "Control".
- Choose the correct Port (usually USB Game 1 or VEC Pedals USB )
- Choose 3-Pedals
- Click on the "Foot Pedal Control Setup Wizard"
- Wait for download to complete and then follow the directions.
- If you need help with the installation process or have difficulties operating the foot pedal or software, please call Technical Support at 1-888-657-5761